- Arik zakri dato' abdul kadir
Called to the Bar in November 2006, the genesis of Arik's career as a trusted legal advisor was shaped by his training in the chambers of Tan Sri Dato' Muhammad Shafee bin Md Abdullah, where he assisted in various high-profile cases. Effectively advising clients on the most practical approach to prevent and resolve disputes, Arik draws on over 7 years' experience as a Deputy Public Prosecutor with the Attorney-General's Chambers and as Senior Manager, Enforcement Division with the Securities Commission Malaysia. With a forte in court work, Arik supports his portfolio with experience in a wide range of non-contentious capacities, assisting in commercial transactions in the oil & gas and transportation solutions industries, shareholders' disputes, Bursa listing requirements, investment holding, and company secretarial practices.
Arik's practice focuses on dispute resolution and corporate advice to businesses. He advises on a wide variety of disputes in areas ranging from defamation to intellectual property, assisting clients in resolving general contractual disputes and economic torts in commercial dealings. He has undertaken numerous successful briefs and negotiated settlements, whenever it is in the client's best interest. He has strong technical skills in drafting pleadings and submissions, advocacy in the context of interlocutory hearings and trials before courts, as well as appeals before the appellate courts.
Selection of advice provided
- Assisted an investment holding company on a multinational shareholder dispute involving a multi-million dollar healthcare project in a neighbouring country.
- Assisted Malaysian and Japanese parties on their process of obtaining licences to establish mining operations in East and West Malaysia.
- Assisted a Singapore-based provider of oil and gas drilling services on various procurement, distribution and supply agreements.
- Assisted in the successful bid by a multinational consortium of Malaysian and German companies in the public transport industry.
- Involvement in the registration of three companies in Brazil on behalf of a Malaysian public-listed company which won a multi-million dollar construction project there together with a local partner.
- Preparation of board papers, administration of shareholders' meetings, drafting of resolutions and company secretarial matters of public-listed and private companies.
- Advised a Malaysian-based multinational corporation on a wide range of employment issues, including compliance with immigration work regulations, Human Resource Development Fund compliance, and issues relating to alleged constructive dismissal.
- Attending a round-table discussion on implementation of the Whistleblower Protection Act 2010 with the Legal Affairs Department, Prime Minister's Department, on behalf of the Securities Commission. Incidentally, Arik together with fellow partner Kamal were in the same prosecution team in the SC that successfully undertook the very first case that tested the immunity provided under the Whistleblower Protection Act 2010.
- Provided a lecture to senior officers of the Royal Malaysia Police, Penang Contingent, on advanced evidential procedures in criminal investigations.
- Attended round-table meetings and advising the Commercial Crimes Investigation Department, Penang Contingent, and Enforcement Division of the Home Affairs Ministry, Penang, on methods to improve the success rate of investigations and prosecutions under the Film Censorship Act.
- Over several semesters, Arik has been invited by the UITM Faculty of Accounting to act as assessor in the Commercial Crimes Investigation Course, under the graduate Forensic Accounting programme
Professional Associations and Memberships
Kuala Lumpur, Selangor and Kedah Bar - Member
High Court of Malaya (2006)
International Islamic University Malaysia (LL.B. Hons) (2005)